If you’re a frequent visitor here, and will pass as “my fan”, then you already know that I try to write from what I’ve experienced, or close enough to have been experienced.
You know, there’s something my cousin brother once told me. He might have forgotten, or not, but I didn’t, ’cos of course, he mentioned it while advising me at a time. What kind of sister would I be to forget the advice of my beloved brother?
He said, paraphrased, “Your colleagues are not your friends…”
Again, I came across a post today that says, “…if you’re laid off from work today, no one from work will call you after one week…”
And trust me, I agree.
However, as much as I subscribe to that school of thought, I’d also love to say there are exceptions to every rule.
We’re humans, after all, and of course, we have relationships outside our immediate family. You know, the family we choose? Those unrelated to us by blood? The ones we fondly call “friends?”
Some, we make earlier on in life, as children.
Some, much later, as adults.
These people can be from anywhere and everywhere: school, neighbourhood, worship centre, gym, and of course, work.
And as adults, with your life revolving more around survival, work can be your best shot at lifelong friendships.
You’re not at work to make friends, don’t get me wrong. But you shouldn’t be completely closed off to the possibility either.
Remember the post I made on friendships? The most beautiful ones usually meet you when you’re not looking.
Some of my most precious male and female friends, even business partner, were gifted to me by my ex-employers. And for someone who does not make friends too easily, I’m glad I did not recoil from those friendships.
Same way I recently got myself a big sister in my compound, when I wasn’t even trying, and which I’m still very much warming into.
So, yes.
Avoid work gossip.
Avoid unnecessary banter.
Do your job.
Get paid.
Go home.
’Cos your colleagues are not your friends.
…but they can be.
Love,
Iyanuoluwa Araba.
Comments
Post a Comment